Saturday, January 3, 2009

Pumpkin spice muffins


I decided to get experimental this morning. I haven't cooked in several days, primarily because my daughter has been out visiting relatives. We had a big lunch with Memmy and Pappy on New Years Day and then my mother took my daughter and still has her. We had my husband's pasta with hamburger for dinner that night, and yesterday I had to work so my husband and I survived on peanut butter crackers until after work. Then we went for pizza. We split a large pie. And ate it all. Four slices each.


So this morning, I have a friend coming to help me with a portfolio project. I said something about muffins. I have no muffin-apropos fruit, so I thought pumpkin... I have an old carrot cake recipe that I hope will adapt itself well. I got it from my neighbor when I was growing up.


Carrot Cake (about to become Pumpkin Spice muffins)
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
cinnamon
14 ounces carrot baby food
1.5 cups oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 cup walnuts (optional)


Preheat oven to 350. grease and flour 13 x 9 pan. Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Sift. Blend in baby food. Then oil and salt. Beat two minutes. Blend in eggs, one at a time. Add walnuts if desired. Bake 50-55 minutes.


So I get to work and the recipe becomes:
2 cups white flour
1 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
cinnamon
ground cloves
nutmeg
1 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
8 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce*
(* 4 tablespoons applesauce generally equals one egg, this is the general formula of how I make a standard cake vegan.)
3/4 cup raisins
A tad more than a cup oats


They took about a half hour to cook. Until the spaghetti inserted in the muffin top came out clean. (I never have toothpicks.) Verdict: very yummy. Raisins were a good choice. Could have added more.

No comments:

Post a Comment