Thursday, January 22, 2009

Almond-Oatmeal-Apple Cookies


My four-year-old devours every drop of batter from the bowl as the oatmeal cookies bake in the oven. I didn't use eggs, so that makes it allowable for me to let her eat the raw sugar, oats and butter.

If you're looking for something with a traditional cookie batter I wouldn't recommend my adaptation... but the standard Betty Crocker Almond Oatmeal Cookie also looks good.


As Betty Crocker intended:
Almond-Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1.5 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup ground toasted almonds
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix sugars, butter, vanilla and egg. Stir in oats, flour, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in almonds. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet about two inches apart. Bake ten minutes or until light brown. About 3 dozen cookies. 80 calories per cookie.

My variation:
Almond-Oatmeal-Applesauce Cookies

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
about 6 tablespoons applesauce (no sugar added)
1.5 cups oats (measured by a four-year-old)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
a general dash of cinnamon (about one teaspoon)
1/2 + a bit toasted sliced almonds

See directions above and note that applesauce as an egg replacement in a cookie often leads to cookies that burn easily.



1 comment:

  1. I spent my whole life eating raw cookie dough and I made it mostly safely to my 50s. Raw cookie dough (with raw eggs) is the best food in the whole world. Especially Toll House dough.

    ReplyDelete