Sunday, January 25, 2009

"Pork with Peaches"

I thawed out the two boneless pork chops I had left from the pork with apples last month and planned to make "pork with peaches" or Cashew Pork with Pea Pods. It's a recipe I got from my college roommate. 



Cashew Pork with
 Pea Pods
1 pound pork, lean and boneless
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons soy sauce 
1 tablespoon corn starch
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon oil
2 cups pea pods
1 can peaches chopped
1/2 cup cashews or peanuts

1. Slice pork.

2. Make the sauce: Mix
 the juice, soy sauce, marmalade, corn starch and ginger. Set aside.

3. Cook the pork with the tablespoon oil. When cooked, add pea pods and peaches. Cook long enough to warm the center of the peaches. Add sauce. Cook until bubbly and thicker. Add nuts.

 

4. Serve with rice.


Now, as usual, I deviated from the recipe. I doubled the sauce, used a quarter of the meat, and used Hong Kong Stir Fry veggies (frozen) instead of pea pods. I didn't use marmalade but substituted applesauce. And I skipped the nuts. Oh, and I used apricots instead of peaches.

Then, I made gourmet Asian noodles and stir-fried them so they were a mix of crispy and soft and served them instead of rice.





1 comment:

  1. Playing devils advocate here.
    With all the substitutions is it really the pork with peaches from you college roommate? It certainly isn't cashew pork with pea pods. At minimum it's pork with apricots.
    g

    ReplyDelete