Thursday, January 22, 2009

Return to Normalcy: Granola


Shannon left yesterday and I returned to the office (and bought my textbooks for my next round of classes). Tonight has been a day of laundry, cooking and catching up. For dinner, my mother-in-law made another Sam's Club rotisserie chicken (it looked worse whole than it did in pieces last time), jarred turkey gravy, reheated boxed stuffing with extra celery and onions (remember I hate both), and extra soggy and buttery carrots and peas. Then they stayed to eat with us so it was hard to choke enough down to please her.

This morning my daughter had a bowl of yogurt and cheerios (and I'm wondering: Have I eaten at all? I don't think so) and now she has had some animal crackers, a small apple and a 1/2 teaspoon of honey. We made granola, so she begged for the honey as we used it on the oats and cheerios. Today's granola was relatively plain. We used sliced almonds for the nuts, just raisins for the fruit, and I used half molasses and half honey for the sauce. The formula can be found under the granola link. Versatile stuff.

Shan's visit impacted my budget severely, but not in groceries. Lately the budget for groceries has been $250. And traditionally the food bill includes dining out, take out and groceries. (When we both had good jobs we normally hit $5oo a month for these categories.) Shan's visit added another mouth to feed, but she contributed toward some of the costs. She gave money toward take-out and bought her own coffee for the most part. The total for January thus far is about $100 for groceries and another $100 under "dining" which is my category for dining out and take-out.

I also did the calculations for last year... And for the first half of the year we were not under the strict budget we are now. Last year we spent about $2500 total on groceries for our family of three and about $1700 on dining. Compare that to my records for 2007: we still had three people, but we also had lucrative employment. In 2007, we spent about $3200 on groceries and an addition $3000 on dining.


No comments:

Post a Comment