Friday, January 16, 2009

The Week in Food

The week has passed by in a blur of decadence. Sicilian with artichoke hearts and black olives, Guinness Roast Beef sandwiches at Granny McCarthy's tea room, and Green Eggs and Ham (spinach omelet and ham on a roll) at Billy's Downtown Diner.

Last night we stopped by Park Avenue Market and got 2.25 pounds of chicken, beef cubes, a lemon, broccoli and coffee ($21.90). I made chicken français for dinner, with a bottle of Vouvray. There might be 1/4 pound of the prepared chicken left.

This morning, my husband made me this cute little egg and cheese sandwich on one of my homemade brioche. The brioche is starting to dry out so to warm it and use it for a sandwich like this provides a perfect way to refresh it.

On Wednesday, my mother-in-law made dinner. She made "Dinner in one dish" and cherry crumb pie. I was out shopping with my guest. Dinner in one dish is great comfort food/ hamburger helper style stuff. My mother-in-law got the recipe in home ec class back in the dark ages.

Flipping through my book to provide the recipe, I came upon hamburger stuffed bread. That might be one to make soon... 

Dinner in One Dish

All measurements are approximate. 

1 pound hamburger browned
1 onion (optional) chopped and fried
1 pound macaroni, cooked
1 can tomato soup
1 can water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 slices American cheese
4 slices bread

Combine onion, hamburger and macaroni. Add soup and water, stir in brown sugar (my mother-in-law sometimes uses tomato sauce but I think that changes the flavor). Place in ovenproof dish. Cover with cheese and hunks of torn bread. Cook in oven until soup warms and cheese melts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment