Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mystery Curry Quiche

We started a quiche for lunch to use the leftover peas and carrots from my mother-in-law's dinner last night. We used a store-bought pie crust (and I often skip the crust as it's not really necessary). The recipe is a variation of the Betty Crocker's Quiche Lorraine and can be found under the Quiche link if not under Betty Crocker or French.

Today we pressed the crust into the dish, added the veggies and some grated parmesan and chunks of monterey jack (because it does not shred/grate). These were the only cheeses in the house. For spices, I added some four-pepper blend, about a teaspoon of garlic powder a dash of curry, and a dash of cumin. And I used 1.5 cups of half and half since I didn't have heavy cream. The recipe calls for two cups of the cream. I've found that other milk products can be substituted for the cream, but it will take longer to cook if you use the full amount they suggest.

This certainly turned out to be my prettiest quiche, and the curry added just the right flavor for the peas and carrots. 

1 comment:

  1. I love quiche. Mama and I had it all the time. Saturday on tv they made one. It looked dang good. She layered the bottom with frozen artichokes, then put on a layer of sliced plum tomatoes, then the egg/cheese/cream mix. Saliva was dripping from my mouth. Of course artichokes aren't inexpensive, and probably not nutritious, so it's not appropriate for this forum.--g

    ReplyDelete