Friday, January 9, 2009

Applesauce Cake


In the depths of my cold last night, I craved a cake. No matter how much I hounded my husband he would not indulge me and bake a cake. So, this morning I baked a cake which may or may not get done before he leaves for the office.

This cake is a great small cake that cooks quickly, and is simple. Unexpected guests? Then my first choice would be a microwave cobbler (I haven't made that since I started this blog) and my second choice would be this cake.

 Applesauce Snack Cake
From the Betty Crocker 25th Anniversary Cookbook
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (as usual, I mix wheat and white)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1.5 teaspoon all spice (I never use allspice. Sometimes I used ground cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon; sometimes I use oriental five spice)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped nuts (or raisins, both optional)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar, it fits the 'theme.')

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, brown sugar, spices, baking soda and salt with a fork, directly in an ungreased 8 x 8 x 2 baking pan. I use my brownie pan. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bake 35 to 40 minutes.

Now, if you're feeling ambitious, make the Apple Cider Sauce and serve with the cake.


Apple Cider Sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup apple cider or orange juice (or in my case this morning, apple juice)
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (or in my case this morning, light cream)

Heat all ingredients to rolling boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat. Boil three minutes. Refrigerate leftovers.

While we wait for the cake, we're having English muffins with butter and slices of apple. Which my daughter is washing down with her "morning coffee" (chocolate soy milk). We should have a protein source in there, but I'm too tired and half-sick to care.

1 comment: