Saturday, January 31, 2009

With the grandparents



Today, my oil change ended up being an all day affair so my daughter ate her lunch of honey-roasted peanuts and raisins from the vending machine. We'll be headed to dinner soon with my wonderful parents. Not high cuisine, but the local diner.

Because the food at the diner is either good or makes you sick, I will not mention the name of the restaurant. If you eat often in the Poconos and need to know the name, email me. Or leave a comment. Last night I thought they had "chicken frances" as a special (that's what they call it.) But it was veal frances which I will not eat, so I made the last minute switch to an 8-0z NY strip steak. It was far from a great steak, but it was a low-end good, until I got home. I had steak and cheesecake and one of them did not agree with me.

My husband had their seafood, fettucine alfredo special. And he enjoyed it. Our daughter bypassed the kids' menu. She whips open the menu and points to a photo of fried fish. "I want that," she announces. Every time she selects something this way, she eats it. We explained the different fish and she chose shrimp in the basket. I also ordered cream of broccoli soup for her. At this diner, cream of broccoli soup also contains carrot.

Which brings me to a rant... As a baby, our daughter sat on my lap for all of our meals. It kept her happy to sit at the table and I learned to eat one-handed. At four months, she would steal my silverware. By five months, (thanksgiving to be exact), she learned to grab crumbs of food from my plate and put them in her month and eat them. The first time it happened, I was eating a broccoli omelette and she ate a bit of broccoli.  

Her first food post-cereal was puréed canned pumpkin I had leftover from a pie. Except for some vegetables (like green beans) I made all my own baby food... in crazy flavors. Like watermelon-orange-pineapple. Or spinach-carrot.

By seven months, we were chopping tiny bits of Chinese take-out or mild Indian food for her. Anyway, that's a topic for another day.

So the traditional kids menu of chicken nuggets and hamburgers does not interest my kid. But I never fed her these things so she doesn't know she's "supposed to" prefer them. My in-laws have my daughter convinced that chicken nuggets and French fries from Wendy's is her favorite meal. It's bull. My daughter believes this because she knows if she eats one chicken nugget and a couple fries (grrrr....) that my in-laws will give her a Frosty. (Which the chemical they use to make that synthetic milkshake crap causes cancer if you breath it. But it's safe to eat. I'm sorry but anything that fake, I'll pass. I like my milkshakes with... um, how about milk and ice cream? I hesitate to mention the name of the chemical because I only know it as the name it had at a place where I worked... They manufactured it and I got the "don't breathe it" lecture from a supervisor.)

4 comments:

  1. I was disappointed. I've heard the kids menu rant a lot, an was looking forward to finally seeing it in print. It turned into a tirade against Wendy's & frosties. That could have been a separate post.

    But now that you've opened that can of worms, here is the list of ingredients for the original Frosty from the Wendy's website. Which one are you talking about? I know Guar Gum and Cellulose Gum are thickeners and Diglycerides are emulsifiers. I also know what the first 5 are. That only leaves a couple.

    "Milkfat and Nonfat milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Whey, Cocoa (processed with alkali), Guar Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Calcium Sulfate, Disodium Phosphate, Artificial and Natural Flavoring, Vitamin A Palmitate. CONTAINS: MILK."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knows... What you're looking for may come out later... I don't know the technical name for the ingredient just the "brand" name used by the company I worked for. Since it was a calcium product, I could guess... but I also could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the Wendy's rant, fries got a "grrr" but I must note that there is also fries in the picture with the shrimp.

    g

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually the grrr does not refer to the fries but to the fact that they have her convinced that Wendy's is her favorite restaurant when it isn't. I've seen her when they get it, she doesn't like the food. She takes two bites and asks to be done. But because they're stupid enough and lazy enough to like it, they have her thinking she does too. If I eat fast food it's because I'm too poor for real food or too lazy to go out. They can go to a real restaurant. Why do they want to eat Wendy's? I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete