Sunday, January 25, 2009

Another round of grocery shopping

We need food. We're not exactly in dire straits yet, but we seem to be one ingredient short of everything. For the month of January, we've spent about $100 on groceries and another $100 on dining. I didn't want to do a big order, since part of the premise of this blog was $250 a month to feed the family. So, I wanted to keep it under $50. $50 should be enough to fill in the gaps and get us through the week.

We went to Wegmans. I didn't have a list. I didn't have a plan. I had husband and child with me. This could end in disaster. I spent $65, but technically, $10 was the dryel starter kit. I thought I'd give it a shot to save some cash at the dry cleaner. And I let my husband have an impulse buy- $3.59 for frozen artichoke hearts. We're planning a black olive/artichoke pizza. (Sounds familiar, doesn't it, Shan?)

This is what I got:
  1. Two 8-0unce blocks of cheese, one Vermont cheddar and one mild cheddar, $1.99 each (same price as Aldi)
  2. Brummel and Brown margarine 
  3. Stonyfield Yogurt Organic YoBaby Drinkable Yogurt, four servings, $3.29 (This is an utter waste of money. But I'm addicted. And I start school this week, and I could use an on-the-go snack. And it has calcium. But I could have made my creamsicle-yogurt smoothies for a fraction of the cost.)
  4. Wegman's organic chocolate soy milk, half gallon, $2.79
  5. Coffeemate Chocolate Raspberry non-dairy creamer, 32-ounces, $2.99 (totally an indulgence. If we get really poor, the creamer AND the coffee will go and we'll drink tea. It's cheaper)
  6. Eggs
  7. Frozens veggies, wegmans brand, one each of cauliflower, corn and peas, 0.89 cents a bag. 
  8. Spinach and feta pierogies, box of 12 for $1.69. Again, the Wegmans brand. They had the plain, the onion and the cheddar. In the bottom of the case, they had three funky flavors, the spinach, sour cream and chive and some mushroom one. When spinach is an option I always nab it, because it turns out that like the ravioli trick, the pierogies with spinach also have more nutritional punch than the other flavors.
  9. the artichoke hearts
  10. Hong Kong stir fry vegetables, $2.19
  11. Ice Cream: one half-gallon of Wegmans brownie sundae $2.29
  12. Wegmans no-sugar added juices, apple with calcium ($1.89) and cherry blend ($2.39)
  13. Tortilla chips $2.50 (nachos at some point)
  14. snack bags, aluminum foil
  15. dryer sheets, color catcher dye catching sheets, one dryel starter kit
  16. moist wipes, $2.79. (Now, when my daughter was a baby, I used wash clothes to clean her bottom. I rarely bought baby wipes. Used them when she made a mess, if you know what I mean, but used wash clothes the rest of the time. We've had some issues with wiping well, so my husband suggested the wipes. For some extra training. I'm not convinced it's worth the money.)
  17. Wegmans Chunky Pizza Sauce, 2 bottles, $0.99 each (see my pizza entry for info on why Wegmans, briefly, more nutrition).
  18. Organic Bulk Spring Mix (for the tortoise) 
  19. broccoli crowns
  20. blueberries (which my daughter ate all by herself before dinner hit the table)

1 comment:

  1. Dryer sheets? You don't use the magic blue balls with the pointy things on them? You can even get them at Wegman's. Initially they are about $10 and work like a dream and your clothes don't smell like chemicals, and you don't have to throw them away. (But are nosy till the wash gets moving...bonk...bonk...bonk...) The sheet kind make me sneeze and itch.
    The old ladies at the sr high rise first told me about them, then they got trendy and available because of their greenness. Trendy is good because the price came down and they are in lots of stores now.
    All the eco-benefits aside, they are a constant source of humor when they get caught in something and end upstairs, instead of downstairs. "Hey has anybody seen my blue balls?"
    (Ive also seen wool ones at etsy.com. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20017262)

    ReplyDelete