Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tuna sandwiches with carrots and mashed potatoes

I poured myself a hearty glass of chartreuse this afternoon. That meant by the time my husband started dinner (two hours later) I had imbibed close to three ounces and was in no shape to make dinner.

My husband used the last of the leftovers from his mother's dinner Friday (carrots and mashed potatoes, with the potato bread) and made tuna sandwiches. Also on the table, between the snowmen, you can see some of the cookies our daughter made yesterday. I think we've all had too many cookies since then. Gayle makes the BEST jelly thumbprints ever.

1 comment:

  1. It's the Jack Daniels in them. Always make them last, they mess up the cookie trays horribly.

    I know you hate making cookies, but maybe one of your friends will be interested.

    KISSES by Margaret Gutekurst (I have no idea. Guessing it's an old friend of mamas. Never met her)

    1/2 cup butter
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    2 egg yolks (keep whites)
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp vanilla (real stuff only)
    1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon whiskey (I use Tennesse or Kentucky bourbon...any other place and it isn't bourbon.)

    Egg white
    crsuhed walnuts
    jelly

    Mix. If it's too dry, add more booze. It's a stiff dough. Chill. Roll in balls, then in egg white, then in walnuts. Put on cookie sheet and push hole in center. Fill with jelly. Don't overfill.

    15 minutes, 375 degrees

    Wow a recipe with time and temperature. Quite a novelty in my moms recipe box!

    ----------

    Why did he make mashed potatoes with a sandwich? Personally, I would have made mashed potato pancakes. Add nan egg and a tiny bit of milk and fry those taters up like pancakes. m'm m'm good. Not healthy, but good.

    gayle

    ReplyDelete