Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mommy's famous hot spinach dip


When Mimi indulged my request for a crock pot two years ago, I never would have imagined that it's primary use would be for hot spinach dip. Mimi found the recipe in a crock pot cookbook she bought for me to accompany the new crock pot, but she fell in love with it and never gave it to me.

My daughter loves it. She will spoon it into her mouth by the tablespoon full. I like it because its spinach. If there's a list of miracle foods, spinach would be on it. With blueberries. Another favorite in this house. But we all love spinach dip: with crackers, homemade bread, even carrots. On the day after spinach dip, we spoon it onto bread and make sandwiches out of it to take to work. If enough remains, we reheat it and  add some milk to make it into pasta sauce. It's also a great party food. Which is why I'm making it today. Gayle is coming to force me to trim the tree (I hate Christmas). So, instead of dinner, we'll have an afternoon of spinach dip, homemade bread, raspberry jam, carrot sticks, and the remaining fresh pineapple.

 

Mommy's Hot Spinach Dip
(Seriously adapted from a crockpot cookbook)
In the bottom of the crockpot, combine:
A tablespoon butter and seasoning of your choice (not all of the following) such as up to two cups onion, a clove of minced garlic, salt, bacon bits, pepper, salt, sundried tomatoes, dill, basil, ranch dressing... 
add 1- 10 oz package chopped frozen spinach, thawed with liquid reserved.

Cook for about an hour and a half on high. Then, add about 10 oz cheese (cubed). The original recipe called for a Velveeta style cheese with jalapenos. I usually mix cheddar and other cheeses I have laying around. Today I'll probably use about five ounces of pepper jack, five ounces of cheddar, and maybe a few spoonfuls of blue cheese dressing. Cook about 30 minutes until the cheese melts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment