Friday, December 5, 2008

The Meal that Started it All: Parmesan Crusted Ravioli with Primavera Vegetables

I believe it was Monday when I came up with this dinner... out of desperation to get some veggies into my daughter who had spent the day with her grandparents.

In case you haven't noticed, much of my cooking resembles alchemy. In this case, I wanted to combine the frozen carrots, cauliflower and broccoli I had with some ravioli... always a kid fav. Note about ravioli: These big boys were cheese, though I usually try to find ones with spinach and cheese for the extra vegetable matter. Some of those raviolis offer a nutritional punch.

This photo actually shows the leftovers that I packed for lunch the next day. Let's see, preparation... I cooked the ravioli and the veggies. Started a sauce of Italian seasonings, garlic pepper (often the secret ingredient in this house), butter and olive oil. Then I sprinkled grated parmesan on the veggies. Dumped the raviolis in the pan, sprinkled more parmesan on everything, and sautéed the whole mess. Sprinkled Asiago on top when finished.  

Last night, the preschooler and I made a GIANT spinach-tuna casserole (which started as a way to use the leftover rice from eggroll night) and well be eating that for lunch today when Daddy gets home. I have an event at work today, so dinner will be a mystery...  

I haven't been to a grocery store yet in December (and ironically I have to go for work today), and I hope to find $20 to go to Aldi tomorrow. I have $9 in my purse, so $20 more should get me through another week. I'm thinking some cheese, milk, eggs, no-stick spray, and fruits and veggies. The furnace broke Sunday, and the repair cost $220. Paying that left NOTHING for groceries, and I'm not ready to use the credit cards yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment