Monday, December 15, 2008

Crustless Broccoli Cheese Quiche


My house smells incredible right now because I have a quiche in the oven. I have to work until seven tonight, so I opted to make a quiche this morning for my family to reheat for dinner. The original recipe is for Quiche Lorraine and comes from my Betty Crocker cookbook. I adapted it, as always. I don't use the crust, simply for ease. It's not necessary and I don't often go through the effort of making a pie crust. I sometimes buy pre-made crusts for pot-pies or quiche. But lately, it didn't seem worth the extra calories or carbohydrates.

My daughter had an apple, chocolate soy milk and a gingerbread cookie for breakfast. I had a piece of pumpkin waffle with peanut butter and Nutella. I'm not sure what we'll have for lunch... It's just the two of us today.

Crustless Broccoli Cheese Quiche

Grease deep dish pie pan. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
1.5 cups half and half (it's supposed to be 2 cups heavy whipping cream, but I didn't have any);
About 1.5 cups fresh broccoli;
garlic pepper;
1 cup shredded cheese (I used leftover Italian blend and some asiago);
5 medium eggs

In pie dish, dump broccoli, sprinkle garlic pepper and cover with cheese. Mix eggs and cream in separate bowl. Pour over broccoli. Cook at 425 for 15 minutes then lower heat to 300 and cook another 30 minutes until texture firms. Stand about ten minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Took 6 months, but I'm making it tomorrow with my abundance of swiss chard. I have left over half-half and thinking about swiss, though I do have sharp and Italian blend

    ReplyDelete