Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Breadcrumbs

My friend Gayle sent me an email today, suggesting that I discuss breadcrumbs in my blog.

"Can you believe people buy them?" she typed.

And I hang my head in shame and admit that I buy them. It never occurred to me to make breadcrumbs. I've made croutons. But breadcrumbs?

She specifically mentioned garlic cheese bread she had ground into crumbs and stashed in the freezer for a future Italian extravaganza. But she said she keeps all her bread this way... stale odds and ends, I imagine. And she said she often guts some of her rolls when making a sandwich since they give you too much anyway. She said pitas don't work. But bagels do. I always knew saltines and Ritz crackers substitute for breadcrumbs in a pinch... But saving stale bread... This house doesn't have stale bread.

But if it does, I'll make breadcrumbs. But what do I do then? Lay out the bread to get staler? When do I grind? How do I grind? I have emailed an SOS to Gayle. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment