Thursday, December 4, 2008

Honey Glazed Egg Rolls with oriental seasoned carrots and rice

At our local warehouse club, I often buy some sort of frozen egg or spring rolls. I select the type based on what I read on the label. When I know I will be running from meeting to meeting all day, I toss one in my bag still frozen. Then when I get a minute, I can wrap it in a paper towel, toss it in the microwave and since it is usually fairly thawed by then, it cooks in a flash and I can wolf it down while driving, packing for my next engagement, whatever. And they have enough protein to keep me going.

I noticed them in the freezer Tuesday night, and believe me they stood out in that sparse environment. I usually make them with stir fry and serve pineapple on the side. But no pineapple. No stir fry vegetables. Just carrots. About a half pound.

So I peeled them and cut them and cooked them. While they were cooking, I whipped up a oriental-style sauce for them. The 'base' was a recipe for ginger carrots from the American Heart Association Low Salt cookbook. But I am NOT including that recipe here. Imagine my recipe with just the ginger, butter and sugar.

Combine in a small skillet:
2 teaspoons butter (I used the real thing)
@ 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger (I'm not real good with measuring or sticking to a recipe.)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 drop sesame oil
1 pinch oriental five spice

When carrots are tender crisp, prepare them in sauce.

Now, I took the dirty skillet, added some canola and some sesame oil and about a tablespoon of honey and fried the [precooked in the microwave] egg rolls in it. I made white rice (I usually used brown, but someone gave this to me.) The egg rolls got very dark very quickly because of the honey, but we liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment