Friday, December 5, 2008

Dinner tonight: Scrambled Egg Wraps



I can't eat a meal like this without thinking of Vito Caiati at the Phillipsburg Mercantile. The man made wonderful food. But owning your own business is hard and in the long run, his quaint restaurant/shop didn't make it. A shame, because I loved it. One of my favorites was Heuvos Diablo. After Vito closed, I had no choice but to try and knock off this classic. I worked late tonight, so my husband made this dinner (photo before the final roll of the tortilla shell). Again, the recipe was adapted for what we had in the house. (Like he scrambled our two eggs left and split them into three servings.) Daddy was cooking and didn't bother with fruits or veggies.


Step one: spray a skillet with no stick spray and season with garlic pepper or cajun seasoning or other favorite spice. Turn on heat. Toss tortilla in. Spray and season other side. Flip when it seems to be getting crispy.


Step two: cook scrambled eggs.


Step three: while eggs firm to desired consistency, heat one slice of vegetarian bacon for each tortilla in the microwave. (Two may be used, but one really is enough for the flavor. You can skip the bacon entirely. )


Step four: sprinkle cheddar on eggs, let melt. Spoon on top of bacon slice in tortilla.


Step five: mix the sauce. I don't know what my husband did tonight, because we didn't have the ingredients... But this is the ideal Heuvos Diablo sauce, or as close to Vito's as I can get:


1 part mustard (preferable something with some zing to it, a sweet hot or a fancy French imported honey mustard) to 1 part sour cream and some dill, if you've got it.


Great for any meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment