Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Fish Sugar Cookies à la Husband


My husband wanted to make roll-out cookies for his sister, Beth, who breeds tropical fish. I have to admit that I have never made a successful batch of roll-outs. But I haven't tried in years. My mother-in-law and grandmothers-in-law make incredible cookies so I have had no reason to try.


My husband dug this recipe out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. He prepared the batter by himself and something didn't seem right. So he called me in. The batter resembled pebbles. I asked him if he remembered all the liquid. He nodded. I washed my hands, removed my wedding ring and dumped the pebbles on the dishwasher. I began working the dough. It was sticking, but still seemed brittle. There was no way this would roll. Especially once chilled. If there's one thing I've learned from my bread making is what dough should feel like.


"Get me butter."


He does.


"Two-and-a-half tablespoons, soft, not melted."


He prepares it. I flour my hands and smear the butter onto the top of the dough, just like folding butter into brioche dough. It's wet, and I'm nervous. I keep my hands dry with flour and keep working. As I get the butter incorporated, the dough takes a nice shape. I dump the last tablespoon of granulated sugar from the sugar bowl onto the dishwasher and roll the ball over it to keep it from sticking to the bowl while it chills. Now we wait.


The recipe.
Sugar Cookies from the Betty Crocker 25th anniversary cookbook
1.5 cups powdered sugar;
1 cup butter, softened;
1 teaspoon vanilla;
1/2 teaspoon almond extract;
1 egg;
2.5 cups flour;
1 teaspoon baking soda;
1 teaspoon cream of tartar;
granulated sugar.


Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg. Stir in other ingredients except granulated sugar. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours.


Heat oven to 375. Grease cookie sheet lightly. Divide dough in half. Roll each half 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shape. Sprinkle with sugar. (Decorate?) Bake seven to eight minutes until edges brown.


Now the question becomes: Will I make colored icing? Or will we just use sugar?

No comments:

Post a Comment