Sunday, July 19, 2009

Foccaccia



To use the ripe tomatoes my mother brought us from her garden, I opted to make a homemade herb foccaccia. As usual, there's the 'real' recipe and my modified version.

We're serving this for dinner with farm-fresh corn-on-the-cob and hopefully the last of the greenbeans from my garden.

I've had the original recipe for more than a decade. My notes say it originated with the VegList, a veg*n email recipe exchange list I belonged to when I first decided to learn to cook. I seem to remember a similar recipe from Vegetarian Times, but I guess I'll have to trust my memory.

Rosemary Foccaccia
from VegList
For the dough
  • 1/4 ounce active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups water, lukewarm
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves, minced
Topping
  • 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 pounds onions, sliced thin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • fresh rosemary sprigs
Garden Foccaccia
Angel's version

For the dough:
  • 1 teaspoon yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (maybe a little less)
  • 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 cups unbleached white flour
  • 1 cup rye flour
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2 teaspoons fresh ground pasta and pizza seasoning
For the topping:
combine in food processor:
  • close to 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
  • 2 teaspoons fresh chives
1 to 2 tomatoes, sliced
parmesan cheese

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Combine water and yeast in bowl. Stir with non-metal spoon and set aside for 15 minutes.

2. If you're making Angel's version, prepare the pesto topping and refrigerate to give flavors time to meld.

3. Once the yeast is activated, add the salt and 2 teaspoons olive oil to the yeast and stir with the non-metal spoon. Add 2 cups of flour (if using wheat or rye, use one cup of wheat/rye and one cup white) and the herbs-- fresh rosemary for the rosemary foccaccia and the pasta seasoning for the garden foccaccia. Stir with a heavy wooden spoon.

4. Add another cup flour and stir as dough begins to form a ball. Turn onto floured surface and knead until soft and elastic. Add more flour as dough becomes sticky and difficult to work with. Knead for about ten minutes.

5. Oil a large bowl (with olive oil, cooking spray or butter). Place dough in bowl and flip to coat. Cover bowl with clean, damp cloth and place somewhere warm and free of drafts to allow to rise. It needs to double in volume. Should take about 90 minutes.

6. When it's done, punch down. Oil a 12 x 18 baking pan, including the edges. Place dough in center of pan and spread across the surface evenly. Cover with damp cloth again and let rise for 45 minutes.

7. While dough is rising, if making the rosemary version, heat two tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the onions in the oil, turning to coat as they begin cooking. Cook about 15 minutes until soft but not burned. The oil should be absorbed. (I hate onions so I have never done this.)

8. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. When dough is done rising, make indentations with your fingers in the surface of the dough. Lightly brush olive oil (for the rosemary version) or pesto (for Angel's version) across the bread. Sprinkle with salt if desired. (I don't)

9. If using the onions, spread them evenly across the dough now. I use fresh tomato instead, sliced thin. Raw. I brush the remaining oil/sauce over them as I place them. I also sprinkle parmesan cheese.

10. Bake for 30 minutes until dough is lightly browned. If using fresh rosemary as part of the topping, add in the last five minutes of cooking.

1 comment: