Thursday, July 2, 2009

July Groceries

It looks like we're having a fruit platter with yogurt and yesterday's trail mix/granola for dinner... I went to FOUR different places to round up food for the family.

I had $94 cash. I would have preferred to only spend that. I'm planning homemade coffee cakes, brioche, brie, fruit, farm fresh bacon and creamsicle smoothies for my breakfast meeting tomorrow.

That means when I finish typing this, I need to get the bacon out of the freezer and start the brioche.

First stop, Klein Farm
Total spent: $19
  • 1 pound local cherries
  • 1 half-gallon raw milk
  • 2 dozen eggs
  • 1 bottle chocolate yogurt smoothie
  • one container lemon yogurt
  • one container plain yogurt
Yes, that's the expensive part of the outing. But it's so fresh. Isn't that the whole point of eating?

I ran that stuff home.
Second stop, Aldi, total spent: $16.61
  • flour tortillas (99 cents)
  • 4 tiny cans tomato sauce ($1 total)
  • 1 can large pitted black olives (99 cents) (I've taken to buying these and slicing them myself instead of the tiny cans of pre-sliced)
  • 2 cans of diced potatoes (59 cents each, for my breakfast, herbs from the garden will transform them into something magical)
  • 11 ounces salt and vinegar potato chips ($1.29) (I prefer the jalapeno cheddar kettle chips but they were $1.99 for 9 ounces)
  • 40 quart freezer bags ($1.99)
  • 10 two-gallon freezer bags ($1.29) (oops. meant to buy one gallon)
  • 34.5 ounces coffee ($4.99) (The whole reason I went, I like Aldi/Beaumont coffee)
  • Chopped pecans ($2.69) (for coffee cake in the morning)
Third stop, Wegmans
Total Spent: $21.41
  • 5 lbs unbleached white flour ($1.59) (Wegmans is the only store I've seen that carries unbleached flour in a generic brand)
  • 12 1-liter bottles plain seltzer ($5.99) (for creamsicle smoothies and juice with bubbles)
  • Morningstar (vegetarian sausage) breakfast patties ($3.49)
  • Beef top round cutlet (3.50- $1 coupon)
  • pint of blueberries ($1.50)
  • Ranch yogurt dressing ($2.99- $1 coupon)
  • one seedless watermelon ($3.99)
And finally, Sam's Club
Total spent: $64.22
  • 10 boxes Kleenex ($12.88)
  • huge bottle Cascade ($8.86)
  • 6 boxes puffs plus ($9.52) (kid has been suffering from serious allergies)
  • huge box tampax ($11.86)
  • 1 pound American double cream brie ($6.46)
  • Bottle of French vanilla creamer (= 300 little tubs) ($9.88)
  • fresh pineapple ($2.88)

1 comment:

  1. my mother would be so proud of you. She called that power shopping. My poor dad always had to run her to four stores.

    g

    ReplyDelete