Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pumpkin Maple Crêpes



I'm finally feeling better. I open my cupboards and they are bare. I see a frozen pack of crêpes and decide to make chicken crêpes. I send the family out to my garden to pick fresh lemon thyme. I'll cook the chicken with fresh chives and lemongrass/corn soup and make... what's this? There's no chicken left? Where did it go?

Plan B: Pumpkin Maple Crêpes
from: http://coffeeworks.blogs.com/coffee_and_tea/2006/10/pumpkin_crepes.html
modified of course

This turned out to be fabulous for summer since everything is room temperature except for the pumpkin sauce that tops the crêpes.

Pumpkin Filling
1-15 oz can pumpkin puree (with about five tablespoons pumpkin in reserve for the sauce)
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 heaping tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves (I added the cloves to make it taste more like pumpkin pie)

Mix thoroughly in a bowl.

Butter Sauce
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
about 1/2 cup water
5 tablespoons pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Melt butter in a skillet. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. Heat well.

Make your own crêpes (this blog has a recipe), purchase some, or use pancakes.
With the crêpe room temperature, spread a thin layer of filling across the crêpe and roll/fold in your preferred method. Coat with the syrup. That's it!

The original recipe yields about 15 crêpes and estimates two per person. We made more filling than that and still ran out after eight crêpes but we had a ton of syrup remaining.

1 comment: