Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mystery Crustless Quiche


I've made quiche several times for this blog, including the crustless version and the mystery version. When I scanned my past entries, the original quiche entry did not appear under any of the logical tags ('French' and 'eggs,' though I'm not sure if I checked 'betty crocker' or 'cheese.') I've decided to retype the original recipe, from the Betty Crocker 25th Anniversary Cookbook, for ease of use.

Quiche in this house is a good way to use of leftovers. Today we have garden green beans, black olives and salsa/cheese dip in there. I also made today's quiche with farm fresh raw milk and brown eggs. And somehow, my family has managed to use TEN eggs since Sunday.

Quiche Lorraine
By Betty Crocker

One 9-inch pie crust
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded swiss cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
4 eggs
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Heat oven to 425. Press pastry into pie dish. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion in bottom. Beat eggs slightly. Beat in remaining ingredients. Pour into pie dish. Bake 15 minutes.

Reduce oven to 300. Bake another 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Today's Mystery Quiche
By Angel
note: I always include a vegetable in my quiche. I rarely use anywhere near the cream and cheese recommended, so my quiches sometimes require less liquid and more cooking time to gel. Honestly, Americans eat a ridiculous amount of protein, so three sources of protein in one dish (bacon, cheese AND eggs) is overkill. By reducing the amount of protein sources in a meal, you reduce the cost.

I oil or apply cooking spray to the pie dish and avoid the crust.

In the bottom of the pan, I arrange, in this order:
1 cup green beans, French cut
1/3 cup sliced black olives
1/2 to 3/4 cup American cheese/salsa dip I made for dipping the other night

In a separate dish, I whisked 4 eggs and 1.5 cups raw milk. Add to pan. Follow cooking directions above.

No comments:

Post a Comment