Thursday, July 9, 2009

Allentown Farmers Market

If you've read some of my other blog entries, I've been trying to buy fresh and local. Or at least from independent folks who know where they're food comes from. But I am on a budget, so I can't go wild.

I spent about $45 today, I say about $45 because my friend Gayle who shopped with me ending up sharing some of the stuff she wouldn't finish all of. I spent $39 exactly. And of that $3 funded breakfast for the child: chocolate milk and a dill pickle on a stick.

I bought produce at two different vendors: baby cucumbers, one tomato, three lemons, apricots and broccoli; then the second was red leaf lettuce primarily for Blue our tortoise and fresh sage.

At one fruit stand I bought two pineapples already cored for $5 (Last time I bought a whole pineapple it was $2.88), and Gayle bought strawberries at another.

At the pickle stand, Gayle bought new pickles, which aren't really pickled as much as cucumbers in brine. My daughter and I both sampled some varieties of different types of pickles.

At the butcher, I bought a three-pound rabbit for $15 and they chopped him into pieces for me. That's supposed to be dinner tonight. At the bread baker, I bought pecan-raisin bread, thinking it would make wonderful toast for me for breakfast or even a light summer dessert if served with fruit. And I'm hoping to make chicken salad for lunch tomorrow and use this bread.

For lunch, we're having leftover brie and brioche, the raisin-pecan bread toasted with peanut butter, and lemon yogurt from Klein Farm with fresh apricots. Crazy combos!

No comments:

Post a Comment