Monday, July 27, 2009

90-minute soft pretzels


I thought to take full advantage of today's humidity, I'd make pretzels as well as bread. But I couldn't find my pretzel recipe so I turned to this one:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1918/90-Minute-Soft-Pretzels89212.shtml

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour; unsifted
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
1 package Active Dry Yeast
1 cup Water
1 tablespoon Margarine
1 tablespoon Water
1 Egg Yolk; beaten
Coarse Salt

Directions:

Mix 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast. Heat 1 cup water and margarine to 120 to 130 degrees. Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of mixer. Add 1/2 cup flour.

Beat at high speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough. On floured board, knead 5 minutes. Set in greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place 40 minutes.

Divide dough into equal pieces. Roll each into a 20-inch rope. Shape into pretzels or other shapes. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rest 5 minutes. Mix egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water; brush on pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake at 375 degrees 15 minutes or until done. Cool on racks.

This recipe from CDKitchen for 90-Minute Soft Pretzels serves/makes 1 dozen

Now, we all know I can't follow a recipe. So, be warned that I used 1/2 white flour and 1/2 wheat. I used 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 tablespoon honey. And I don't have any eggs, so I either have to skip the egg wash or find a vegan alternative.

I might use the French bread trick of putting water in the oven to crisp the outside.

My ideas for toppings:

herbs from the garden, salt, parmesan cheese, garlic pepper, cocoa powder, sesame seeds...

I decided to make half my batch apple-cinnamon-almond-chocolate pretzels. I grated an apple that was on it's last leg and tried to drain as much moisture as I could from it. I kneaded about 2 tablespoons of apple into each stick. Then, I used corn starch and water to serve as the egg wash, and sprinkled with cinnamon, sliced almonds and cocoa powder.




3 comments:

  1. Angel, they look like bread sticks! My Pennsylvania German heart is breaking. Pretzels have a very unique shape that is VERY easy to do. Even the wee one could pull it off. Take a blob of dough, roll a rope, take the two ends, twist and fold over. Food and craft time all in one! If I had someone to hold the video camera, I'd make you a demo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how to do that, but I was doing sticks so I didn't go crazy trying to get the wee one to cooperate. I just wanted them done and preferably on one cookie sheet. Next time, I promise I'll make the 'right' shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found pixs on http://playingwithmyfood.blogspot.com/2008/01/soft-pretzels.html It's about half way down. will email.

    ReplyDelete