Wednesday, July 22, 2009

End of July groceries

I had $71 in my wallet this morning. It was earmarked as the rest of the grocery budget for July. I had a meeting at the office at 10, which I thought would take about an hour. So, the plan was:
  • Stop at Wegmans for non-perishable items only available at Wegmans: whole wheat flour, unbleached white flour, mango salsa, chunky pizza sauce.
  • Go to office and prepare for meeting, attend meeting (with child, keep in mind) and meet husband to being him home for lunch and go home.
The reality was:
  • Go to Wegmans. End up buying those items and more, including a watermelon, which I brought into the office because I didn't think it should spend the morning in the hot car.
  • Arrive at office at nine.
  • At noon, call husband and tell him to buy lunch at Wawa.
  • Leave office at one.
  • Take child to Friendly's for being so good at the office.
  • Watch child eat for HOUR and a HALF.
  • Stop at Aldi for perishable items, including greens for tortoise.
  • Bring groceries home. (3:37 p.m.)
  • Finish report for the office and go get husband
  • Finally, get home. Open blog and realize: I didn't buy any butter.
My husband spent $4 at Wawa and he had the cash. We spent $22 at Friendly's (Child ate a whole "big kid meal" and I had the $9.99 drink-entrée-dessert deal), which means I still made a profit-- because I had intended to be at the office less than 2 hours and I worked a total of 4.5 today.

But back to the groceries:

I spent $49.12 at Wegmans on the following...
  • Food You Can Feel Good About 100% Juice Berry $2.39 (I know I can buy juice at Aldi for $1 a can of frozen concentrate but at the time, I didn't plan to go to Aldi.)
  • Inkos White Blueberry Tea, an individual jar $1.75 (I know that's insanely expensive, but I needed a drink for my daughter and I to share at the office. The cleaning man took my old glass bottle thinking it was trash. My daughter and I don't agree on much, and I didn't want to get a soft drink.)
  • Three boxes of pasta (2 nugget shapes and one elbows) 89 cents each
  • three small cans of Wegmans tomato sauce, 30 cents each (again, Aldi is 25 cents each but I didn't know at the time...)
  • 14 ounces of Wegmans tortilla chips $2.50
  • Wegmans organic mango salsa $2.99
  • Wegmans chunky pizza sauce 99 cents
  • Wegmans organic ceasar dressing $1.89
  • Wegmans vegetable stock $2.99
  • 2 five-pound bag unbleached enriched white flour $1.59 each
  • 1 five-pound bag wheat flour, $2.29
  • black beans, 59 cents
  • 3 cans no-salt added red kidney beans, 59 cents each
  • 100 square feet of plastic wrap $1.99
  • 100 snack bags $2.49
  • 12 double rolls of Wegmans toilet paper $4.99
  • Hain Safflower Mayonnaise $3.19
  • Wegmans Natural No Sugar Added Applesauce with calcium 99 cents
  • 2 bottles Suave shampoo and one bottle conditioner, 79 cents each
  • Crest vanilla toothpaste $2.69
  • One whole seedless watermelon $2.99
And later at Aldi, total $21.36:
  • spring mix, $1.69
  • spinach rigatoni, $2.99
  • 2 bags of frozen peas, 95 cents each
  • california blend frozen vegetables, 95 cents
  • 3 8-oz blocks of extra sharp cheddar cheese, $1.29 each
  • 34.5 ounces coffee, $4.99
  • 2 cans large black olives, 99 cents each
  • smaller can of decaf coffee, $2.99

No comments:

Post a Comment