Sunday, July 26, 2009

Quiet blog/ Weis


The blog has been quiet because my daughter went with her grandmother on Friday and has not returned home. My husband and I had a nice dinner to attend on Friday, for the first ever Greater Lehigh Valley Writers Group Literary Awards. That was a fun night.

Then yesterday we ate things like scones out of the freezer and nachos.

We went out last night and stopped at Weis supermarket for a few things I forgot. Butter, greens for the tortoise, ingredients for pumpkin crêpes. When Weis had a store in our neighborhood, I used to shop there all the time. Then they moved the store.

I can say for a fact that store is expensive and I have no intention of going back. Ever if I can help it.

We got two cans of pumpkin. I'm not sure if it's Wegmans or Giant, but one of these sells the generic can for 99 cents. Weis is $1.09. A small bottle of real maple syrup is $4.99 at Wegmans. $5.69 at Weis. Butter is $2.50 a pound, whereas I know I can get it for $2 elsewhere. And actually, if I would have gotten two of there 1/2 pound boxes... I believe those were $1 each. 16 ounces of coffeemate, $1.99. Broccoli crowns were $1.99 a pound, which made my jaw drop when I saw the receipt. But then at the end of the receipt, I see there was a club card discount, dropping the price to $1.29 pound. Red Leaf lettuce was also $1.99 a pound. Carrots were $0.99 for a one-pound bag. At Giant, they would have been the same price but baby carrots would have also been 99 cents, as would organic carrots.

A huge bag of Twizzlers was $1.85, a box of jujyfruits was $1, and their generic fancy chocolate bars are 50 cents a piece. And there was a general box of strawberry shredded wheat for $2.69 that packed a nice nutritional punch.

And the jujyfruits were bad. Half the box were fresh and delicious. The other half were crispy and gritty, not hard and stale, gritty. They are getting sent back to the manufacturer.

2 comments:

  1. Just curious.. do you shop with coupons? I know Wegmans used to send a coupon book every month and would offer a free item like a can of tuna or a box of tissues with a $10 purchase. It's been awhile since I've seen one of those coupon books, so maybe they discontinued doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Wegmans sends their coupon book, I use the ones for $1 in the produce department, or natural foods, and occassionally the ones for meat. Especially when I can find an interesting cheap cut to experiment with. But I never use the coupons for the Wegmans asian bowls or premade sauces or soda, because they're still not economical/practical in my view.

    Weis used to send out $5 off $50, and that I would use, although now that I see how expensive they are I may not anymore. Not that I've received them in a long time.

    And I normally don't do manufacturer's coupons, because I don't get a newspaper and trying to use them before they expire gets ridiculous. And 90% of them are for processed or frozen foods I don't use or items that even after the coupon are more expensive then I'm willing to spend.

    Though IF you eat cereal (we keep one box around the house for 'emergencies') a manufacturer's coupon coupled with a 3/$5 type sale saves. And some of the drug stores have sales on grocery items that coupled with coupons also save, though the selection may be poor.

    Speaking of drugstores, I saved money by using CVS for my diapers when my daughter was a baby. Their generic diapers were just like Pampers Swaddlers, and with your CVS card you got every fifth bag free. About every six weeks, they would have a buy 2 (or was it one?)/get one free sale on those diapers (limit four purchased) and I would always go, and then ask my father-in-law to go too (as he loves a good deal)

    I would say watching the circulars and price tags does more than coupons in the long run... but some people are really expert with them.

    ReplyDelete