Monday, July 20, 2009

Pumpkin Scones


To use up the pumpkin syrup from the crêpes the other day, I made pumpkin scones and used the syrup as icing. This was my first use of this recipe and it didn't include a size for how to scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet, as a consequence, my scone bottoms burned and my top didn't quite cook all the way through because I made them too big. I made them "scone size" forgetting they would rise in the oven.

The syrup did not exactly harden as much as I expected. I thought with the butter it would take on a more solid quality.

I got the recipe from
http://wholesomefeasts.blogspot.com/2008/05/pumpkin-raisin-scones.html

4 C flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. allspice
4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. salt
3/4 C butter, softened
2 1/4 C sugar, plus 4T for the topping
2 eggs, well beaten
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
2 C raisins
Heat the oven to 375 degree F. line 2 baking pans with Silpat liners. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, allspice, 1 tsp. of the cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside. In a mixer, cream the butter until it is fluffy and then add the sugar. Once the sugar is blended in , add the eggs and pumpkin. Now slowly mix in the dry ingredients. Stir in the raisins. With 2 spoons drop the mixture onto the two baking sheets. With the back of the spoon flatten the scones. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 3 tsp. of cinnamon and 4T of sugar and sprinkle on top of each. Be sure to leave at least 2" between each scone. Bake for 8-12 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes then remove to cooling racks. Makes 36.

I modified it in the following ways:
Instead of 2 cups raisins, I used 1.5 cups raisins and 3/4 cups oats. (I ran out of raisins.)
I didn't have enough butter so I used 1/2 cup butter and less than 1/4 cup canola oil.
I used parchment paper, but honestly I have no idea what Silpat liners are.
I reduced the sugar to 1 cup because 2+ seemed like a lot.
And for a topping I didn't mix sugar and cinnamon, I just used a sprinkle of dark brown sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you would so fall in love with a Silpat liner (well there are many brands now) and they are FRENCH! (silpat.com). It's a silcone liner for your baking sheet and nothing sticks to it. You never have to grease again or scrub off burnt sugar. My brother just got some new jelly roll pans with liners at Ollies for $13 and I think it was a 2-pack. He was giddy with glee.

    I used Silpats at my sister Barbs and I fell in love. Bonnie uses them too. I have not made the investment yet.

    ReplyDelete