Sunday, April 11, 2010

A surprise gift

A friend stopped by today with several pounds of aged cheddar cheese, some crackers and some nuts. Plus some snack meats and a wedge of Jarlsberg, a small veggie platter and some artichoke dip.

The gift was appreciated and may inspire me to prepare some homemade mac and cheese with the last of my emmental cheese, some boring old monterey jack and maybe some of that fine cheddar... Seems a sacrilege to use such fine cheese for pasta.

My daughter saw the cashews and right away asked if she could have some...

Some things don't last long in this house.

What's fun about giving and receiving food is the adventure in taste. The giver takes what they know about the recipient and selects items that they are familiar with, in hopes that the recipient will also enjoy them. It also gives the recipient a chance to eat and experiment with food items one would never purchase on a whim.

I would never purchase dry Italian sausage on my own. But I tried a hunk: juicier than I expected, with a kick like pepperoni but another note in there of something I want to say unpleasant or earthy, that's almost necessary to counteract this hint of sweetness...

Already the adventure begins... Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment