Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day Two/Grocery shopping

I went to Aldi this morning.

This is no simple feat as we're broke, but I transferred $100 from the savings account simply so that we're not hungry and broke. And since I'm being treated for iron and Vitamin D deficiencies, now is not the time to consider eating poorly.

But before I regale you with my tales of grocery success, I'll report what we've eaten so far today.

Breakfast
  • 1 cup coffee (with French vanilla non dairy creamer)
  • 6 ounces fruit juice
  • 1 bowl cream of wheat made with soy milk and a touch of sugar
Snack
  • bran flakes (with added raisins, lots of raisins) and soy milk
  • about 6 ounces of orange juice with an equal amount of seltzer
  • 12 ounces unsweetened green tea with blueberry
(And my daughter is on her second bowl of raisin bran)

After my daughter gets out of dance class, we'll probably have leftover macaroni and cheese with vegetables made by my husband the other day...

But the groceries:
Grand total: $82.78

I forgot butter! How is that possible???

Yield:

  • One bag frozen asparagus spears, $1.99
  • Steam-in-bag vegetables, Italian blend, $1.49 each (three bags)
  • frozen california medley, 95 cents
  • one frozen concentrate 100% apple juice and two apple-raspberry, 92 cents each
  • More than a pound 80/20 ground beef, $5.15
  • Wheat (ritz-style) crackers (I LOVE these), two boxes, $1.79 each
  • flat leaf fresh spinach, $1.49
  • condensed vegetarian vegetable soup (which I may end up using as a sauce or to flavor foods instead of vegetable broth), four cans, 49 cents each
  • Chicken and dumplings soup, 2 cans, plus one can chicken/broccoli soup, $1.39 each
  • tiny cans of tomato sauce, eight at 25 cents each
  • Spring Mix for the tortoise, $1.69
  • kidney beans, two cans, 59 cents each
  • corn, canned, two cans, 55 cents each
  • small can mandarin oranges, 49 cents
  • baby carrots, 49 cents (cheaper than whole, though I understand whole carrots are better for you, but these were 1/2 the price)
  • fruit cocktail, 2 cans, in juice, 85 cents each
  • apricot halves, 2 cans, 99 cents each
  • black beans, 2 cans, 59 cents each
  • tropical fruit salad, 79 cents
  • boxed mac and cheese, three boxes, 35 cents each
  • bite sized frosted shredded wheat, $1.89
  • bananas, 2 pounds, 71 cents
  • two plain and one chocolate half-gallon of soy milk, $2.29 each
  • half gallon of orange juice, $1.79
  • 8 ounces new york cheddar, $1.79
  • three varieties of whole wheat pasta, three boxes (or was it four?) $1.09 each
  • bran flakes, 17 ounces, $1.49 (they wanted $2.29 for the same size box with raisins. I can add my own raisins.)
  • Oatmeal, $1.79
  • garlic, three small bulbs, fresh (from China, that's kinda spooky) 69 cents
  • rosemary triscuit-style crackers, $1.49
  • box of raisins, $1.49
  • two packages of flour tortillas, 99 cents each
  • head of cauliflower, $2.19
  • two broccoli crowns, $1.69
  • tortilla chips, 99 cents
  • frozen raspberries, bluberries and blackberries, $2.89
  • Havarti dill cheese (splurge), $2.49
  • long grain rice, $1.49
  • eggs, $1.45

4 comments:

  1. interesting, kidney beans 59 cents each? Went to the Dollar Tree just to see if I could actually get a real bargain (noticing, you better watch out there, check the amt. in the pkg before you buy). So, except for the kidney beans (Goya, $1), I did get big bargains on hand soap refills, body soap,face wipes, & moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bargain hunting can be fun!

    I don't use a lot of product like hand soap, moisturizer and what not. For soap for hands, I buy a huge pack of cheap bar soap (like Dial or Ivory) and leave a bar at every sink in the house.

    But for washing, I'm a Dove girl. Not cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that garlic powder,2.5 ounces was $1 and strong. Ordinarily, I hesitate to buy food at a dollar store; makes me a bit uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. But I've heard that some of the food that ends up at dollar stores at reduced prices is stuff that in the old days would have gone to a food bank. Interesting how times change

    ReplyDelete