Friday, April 30, 2010

May's First Aldi Trip

Did my first round of grocery shopping from the May budget. I'd like to cut the grocery budget as much as I can, as I don't know how much more I can do to cut the price of gas for the car, oil to heat the house, or even the electric bill. Food seems to be one of those necessities that at least has some flexibility as to what you spend on it.

I gave myself a budget of $50, a goal of two weeks of food, and $65 cash in my wallet.

I headed to Aldi to see how I could do. Now, I forgot the ketchup. I also didn't see cream of wheat. But all in all, I think I did well. We'll see what you think:

  • Bananas, 2.5 lbs, 76 cents
  • Frozen peas, 95 cents
  • Steam Easy Spring Vegetables, two bags, $1.49 each (hmmm.... twice as much old fashioned "California Medley" is much cheaper.)
  • 64 ounces plain soymilk, $2.29
  • Whole wheat pasta, $1.o9
  • 1.5 cups chopped pecans, $2.89 (yeah, a splurge. So I can make those fruity nutty oatmeal cookies that almost taste like Quaker Oatmeal Breakfast Bars)
  • Three cans chunky-style soup (two chicken and dumpling, one broccoli/cheese) 1.39 each
  • tomato sauce, 4 tiny cans, 25 cents each
  • 75' of Aluminum foil, 2.29
  • Big jar of medium salsa (for the husband: he doesn't like the mango salsa that has all the vitamins in it) $1.69
  • carrots, (fresh) 99 cents
  • 2 cans apple-raspberry 100 percent juice concentrate 92 cents each (hmmm... looks like we're sticking to apple from here on out, 30 cents difference)
  • 2 cans white grape-raspberry 100 percent juice concentrate $1.24 each
  • Miracle Whip (aldi brand) $1.69 (enormous jar. Sigh. I miss my nayonnaise)
  • 2 cans medium sweet peas, 55 cents each (for the tortoise)
  • Box of raisins, $1.49
  • three boxes of plastic baggies in various sizes for the freezer, $1.95 each
  • bran flakes, $1.49
  • aldi brand peanut butter captain crunch, $1.49 (succumbed to the "um, mommy? Can I please have peanut butta cwunch?")
  • three boxes cheap mac and cheese, 35 cents each
  • one bag tortilla chips, 99 cents
  • A big bag of lemons, 2.69 (anything tastes good in lemon butter sauce)
  • spring and butter lettuce, $1.69
  • Italian blend lettuce, $1.99
  • Broccoli crowns, $1.49
  • strawberries, $1.19


Total: 51.16

No comments:

Post a Comment