Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie


I clipped this recipe from a Vegetarian Times in November 2000. I tried it because I was intimidated by a real cheesecake and liked the healthy aspects of it. What I didn't count on was A. The deliciousness and B. My family giving me a reputation for a "pumpkin custard" almost as good as Memmy's.

The crust is a cookie crust, which they suggest a graham cracker crust made with canola margarine. My husband made a ginger snap crust last night... (See earlier post.)

And I realized this morning as I began to type this recipe that I forgot the tofu! Last minute trip to the grocery store at 7:45 a.m...

Pie filling:
  • 1 pound silken tofu (I use Mori-Nu, silken, firm. Although this year... I think I bought soft. Poop.)
  • 15 ounces solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup soy cream cheese (Better than Cream Cheese); I'm not making it vegan this year so I'm using real cream cheese
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon all spice (I rarely use all spice)
  • 1/4 ground cloves
1. Position oven rack in the middle of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.

2. If you haven't already, make a pie crust.

3. Combine ingredients in a food processor, starting with the tofu, then the pumpkin.

4. Add filling to a cool crust and bake 45 minutes.

5. Turn oven off and let pie rest without opening door for an hour. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least eight hours.

So... because I bought soft tofu instead of firm:
I used 12 ounces of silken soft tofu and the whole block of cream cheese, hoping that would help it firm.

And for some odd reason, I added 1/4 teaspoon ginger to the recipe. I thought the recipe called for it. Don't know what I was thinking.

I also reduced the sugar to about 2/3 cup because I ran out and didn't feel like opening the new bag. Maybe this blog should be "lazy cooking."

No comments:

Post a Comment