Thursday, November 26, 2009

Sweet Potato Crunch


My husband's Aunt Carolyn makes a variation of this dish, so I thought the recipe came from her. It appears the one I have came from "Janet Muchoney" in the Weis Recipe Exchange...

Sweet Potato Crunch
  • 4 large sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and cooled
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 12 ounces evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
For the crunch:
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cupped pecans, chopped
  • 1/2 stick butter or margarine, melted
In a large bowl, mix the first set of ingredients. Pour into 9x13 inch greased pan. Mix remaining dry ingredients. Layer on top of creamed sweet potatoes. Pour melted butter over topping.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

My modifications:
I didn't use fresh yams (and Gayle is mad at me for this, or perhaps disappointed). I used two 29 ounce cans of Taylor Yams in syrup, drained. I also reduced the white sugar to 2/3 cup. I upped the pecans to 1.5 cups because I like pecans...

And I used an 11x7 dish not realizing how small it is...

1 comment: