Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Perfumed Pineapple 'Tatin'


I thought I would cross my recipe from 'C'est Prêt, Venir Dîner' for Perfumed Pineapple Crumble (a must try, if I do say) and my usual tarte tatin from 'Barefoot in Paris.' I wanted to use my new Le Creuset skillet in the oven.

But I didn't think of how much larger this skillet is when compared to my deep-dish pie pan. I should have doubled the cake batter... but didn't... so I may end up with Pineapple with French Dumplings...

I started with my Le Creuset skillet, greased generously with unsalted butter by my five-year-old daughter. Then we sprinkled about 1/2 cup light brown sugar in the bottom. We perfumed the bowl of pineapple (one pineapple, cored) with one tablespoon vanilla, stirred well, and arranged slices in the skillet. (My pineapple coring skills have improved. They almost look like pieces from a can.)

I took the remaining pineapple juices and poured into my measuring cup, where I added water to make 1/3 cup. Now this water is to go into a small saucepan on high heat. You're supposed to add one cup sugar, but I reduced to a 1/2 and added 2 tablespoons honey. Swirl pan to mix, but don't stir. Boil until it turns amber. I always forget and stir.

When it's ready, pour it evenly over the pineapple.

Now the batter: Cream six tablespoons room temperature butter with 3/4 cup granulated sugar. (Again, I reduced to about 1/4 cup) Beat until light and fluffy. Lower speed and beat in two room temperature eggs, one at a time. (It says two extra-large, I should have used three I think. Because mine were merely large.) Then add 1/3 cup sour cream. And 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.

In separate bowl, combine 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour (or if you're me, one heaping cup), 1/4 teaspoon salt, and one 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Slowly mix with the butter mixture. Cover fruit with this batter. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350. Cool for 15 minutes and flip onto plate.

Mine was swimming in syrup when it got done, so I drained it and will use the syrup for something...

No comments:

Post a Comment