Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hot Lunch Again




Okay, choke one up for the doofus category.

I thought I made the spring vegetables with the citrus sauce. I didn't.

I made the steam-in-bag stir-fry vegetables from Giant.

So, I opted to try and make my own citrus sauce. Totally off the cuff.

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
  • 1 teaspoon flax seeds
  • 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
Toast seeds and nuts in skillet. In a small bowl, mix:














  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Stir until corn starch is dissolved. Add to skillet, raise heat, stir, and bring to boil. When sauce is reduced and thickened, add vegetables and reduce heat. Stir well. After about a minute, add rice (about 2 cups cooked brown rice) on top but don't stir. Stir after another minute. Then, serve with chow mein noodles.

It turned out well, some bites were very zesty and citrusy, others salty, others a nice blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment