Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cornbread and sausages


Tonight I'm planning cornbread and spinach-asiago chicken sausages. I had planned to make Eileen Bresslin's vegan cornbread recipe but I ran out of soy milk.

Eileen's recipe:

Preheat oven to 350. These muffins, or cornbread, need to go in a hot oven as soon as they're mixed.
  • 1.5 cups yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1.5 cups soy milk
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix wet ingredients. Pour liquid into dry, mix until just combined. Bake 30-40 minutes. Note: You may not need quite that much oil.

I added parsley and flax seed to mine tonight.

Now for the sausage... I decided to try and make a sauce. In the bottom of the pan I started with:
  • About 1/4 cup apple juice
  • About 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • About one teaspoon cornstarch
Whisk as bring to a boil to reduce and thicken. It smelled sweet, so I added:
  • About 1/2 teaspoon four color peppercorns
  • About 3/4 teaspoon garlic pepper
  • About 3/4 teaspoon garlic
  • About 1/8 teaspoon curry
After it seriously thickened, I added:
  • three spinach asiago chicken sausages, sliced
  • about 1 cup French cut green beans, frozen and thawed in the microwave
Then I served with the cornbread, using some of the excess sauce as gravy.

(Note: These are the same sausages I got at the warehouse club a few weeks ago and had in the freezer. We've eaten them in pasta sauce, and as sausage sandwiches, and now this funky recipe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment