Sunday, December 20, 2009

Starting chili


We got about a foot of snow... okay, it's probably more like eight or so inches. But that makes me want something hot and stew-like. Beef bourgogne would be fabulous, but working with what I have on hand, it looks like chili. And if I can gather the ingredients, I'd like to make the kind with cornbread dumplings...

If this link works, it should take you to my previous chili recipes:
http://angelfoodcooking.blogspot.com/search/label/chili
If not the link in the labels below for chili should help...

But let's see today...
  • about a tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • about one and a half cups browned hamburger crumbles from the freezer
  • one clove garlic coarsely chopped
  • about 3/4 teaspoon Indian chili powder
  • about one teaspoon pizza and pasta seasoning
That's sizzling in the pan. I added:
  • almost two cups Wegmans vegetable stock
As I wait for that to boil, I'm debating between Hunts Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes or the cheap Italian style from Aldi... I'm thinking fire-roasted.
  • One can Hunts Fire Roasted tomatoes
Waiting for that to boil. I'm going to boil it for about 10 minutes to reduce some of the vegetable stock. Then I'll simmer covered for about an hour. I added:
  • one tablespoon cocoa powder
  • about a half teaspoon four color organic peppercorns
I let it cook for about 30 minutes and seeing how it reduced down, I added:
  • 1 cup thai broth (also Wegmans, I had it in the freezer)
Perusing my chili recipes, I'm thinking this calls for:
  • one can (15.5 ounces) light red kidney beans
  • one can dark red kidney beans
(I'm out of black. I love black beans.) I'm still debating whether to add corn and/or pineapple. It all depends on the flavor.

Well, my goal is always to make chili that has a nice flavor but isn't too spicy for the child. I usually only succeed in making either bland chili or five-alarm chili. Today, it seems like this concoction is three-alarm chili. So I added:
  • 20 ounces crushed pineapple (minus a couple ounces for the tortoise)
Smells and looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment