Friday, December 18, 2009

Crockpot mac and cheese


Okay, so I'm bummed. My roasted red peppers are moldy.

I'm crossing my traditional hot spinach dip with a recipe for crock pot mac and cheese. This will be dinner. Still have leftover pork for lunch.

This is the starting point for the mac and cheese:
"8 oz mac (cooked) mix with 2 tbs oil. Put in crock pot and add 4 tbs butter, 1 can evap. milk, 1 1/2 cups milk, 3 cups of various cheeses (whatever you like), salt, pepper, onion powder to taste--put on low for 2-3 hours. "

So I started with:

  • About three tablespoons butter
  • four tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • one package chopped spinach, thawed, liquid added to crock pot
  • 1/2 clove garlic sliced
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon organic four color pepper
Now, it looks like I need about 2 cups liquid and three cups cheese...

So, I added:
  • 1.5 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
That seemed the "soupiness" I like...

Now, I added about 1/4 cup grated romano. And will add a little pepper jack and the rest cheddar. Should be great.

I'm thinking of making a bowl of the other cheese and asking my mother-in-law to add it when she brings my daughter home from school.

I shredded all the cheese and placed it in a big container in the fridge and asked my five-year-old to please put it in the crock pot, carefully, when she gets home from school. We'll see if she remembers.

No comments:

Post a Comment