Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Fred the Friendship Bread


My friend Gayle brought us a sourdough starter so we could make friendship bread. She brought it November 21 and my husband ended up baking it last night with our daughter.

Day One: Receive the starter

Day Two: stir

Day Three: stir

Day Four: stir

Day Five: Add one cup each of flour, sugar and milk.

Day Six: Stir

Day Seven: Stir

Day Eight: stir

Day Nine: stir

Day Ten: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and one cup milk. This is the new starter. Divide into four containers of one cup each. Three are for friends.

With your cup of starter, add the following ingredients and bake:

2/3 cup oil
3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 to 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Beat by hand until well-blended. You can add 1 cup raisins and 1 cup nuts, if desired. Grease two loaf pans with butter, sprinkle with sugar instead of flour. The recipe says to bake at 325 for 45 minutes to an hour, my husband said it took much longer so it might be better at 350.

2 comments:

  1. Back in the 70s we called this Herman. I think I tended mine for about 2 years before I got bored with it. The official name is Amish Friendship Bread. I name everything, so I call it Fred. It just sounds better when you announce you're off to feed Fred. And really, it is like having an edible pet.

    After I was given the starter this time I searched the net for variations. I found a really good site for variations www.momswhothink.com/bread-recipes/amish-friendship-bread.html

    I add dried fruit and nuts to mine. Today, I'm going to make it into cupcakes. I'll do a second post with how they came out. BTW 325 for 55 minutes works for me for the basic loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cupcakes took about 25 minutes at 325 in my ancient metal cupcake pans. (When I bake the loaf I use ancient Pyrex loaf pans.) A single batch yielded 16.

    BTW, if you decide to use fresh fruit, shake it up first with a little flour. It won't sink to the bottom of your cake.

    ReplyDelete