Tuesday, March 16, 2010

New and improved oatmeal bars...


Hi, my name is Angel and I can't follow a recipe to save my life.

This is the original oatmeal bar post:
http://angelfoodcooking.blogspot.com/2009/09/oatmeal-bars.html

This is what I combined and pressed into an 11 x 7 pyrex dish:

  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup chopped dates
  • a handful homemade granola (leftover)
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup dried strawberries, chopped
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
And then after I pressed it into the pan I trickled a stream of blackstrap molasses across the top.

Okay, so last time I thought I didn't use enough butter. So I stuck to the recipe in that regard this time and used all the butter. Now they turned out too buttery and still won't stick together, except for the corners that looked brown and overcooked. They stuck. Does that mean I have to leave it in the oven longer? Hmmm....

Now, they taste delicious but like butter candy or some sort of oatmeal fudge... Let me tell you, the strawberries are the best. Next time, I'm going to make oatmeal cookies loaded with extra oatmeal and lots of fruit. Because if I want them to stick together, let's use good old-fashioned flour and egg.

2 comments:

  1. Favorite Baked Oatmeal Bars
    1/3 C vegetable oil
    1/4 C brown sugar
    1 large beaten egg
    (mix above well)
    Add: 2 C quick oats, 1 1/2 t baking powder,
    1/2 t salt, 3/4 C skim milk Optional: fresh or frozen blueberries in bottom of pan.
    Mix all ingredients. Pour into 8 x 8 greased pan. Bake at 350 for 30 min. I like mine warm with reduced fat Cool Whip.

    ReplyDelete