Monday, March 1, 2010

Mini shopping trip

Yesterday I ate junk all day. With my daughter. We had a road trip. Wawa egg sandwiches for breakfast, with apple slices, and Irish food for a late lunch-- Shepherd's pie with lamb, too! Stuffed so full we never ate dinner!

This morning I stopped at Giant, motivated by desire for crôque monsieur and some need of bathroom supplies. I spent $37.92 and hopefully got enough stuff to last at least a week, if not two.

We upgraded our Quicken yesterday, so I can tell you at a glance that I spent $266 on groceries last month, and $177 on dining out. I'm not happy with that dining out figure. Until I examine it closer and realize about $125 of it is connected to one of the non-profit boards I serve that owes me a reimbursement of $115. The treasury did not attend the last meeting so I didn't get my check... Upon even closer examination Quicken is giving me totally different numbers. I don't think I can trust any of them.

Ah, well... Back to my shopping trip this morning.

  • Dove soap, 2 bars, $2.69 (the only soap my husband will use in the shower)
  • Sushi Chef Japanese sesame oil, $3.69 for 5 oz. (all the bottles were the same size, of the three brands, Sushi Chef was the cheapest. The most expensive was $4.99. A little bit of sesame oil in the frying pan or in a mix with ginger, garlic, water and soy sauce makes a very authentic Asian flavor. Avoiding the need for Chinese take-out upon a craving.)
  • Ronzoni vegetable rotini, 12 ounces, $1.45 (okay, almost twice the cost of plain 'white' noodles, but the Vitamin A content equals one serving of vegetables. Might be worth it for those hectic nights.)
  • Giant pasta wheels, 16 ounces, $.89 (yes, it's 'white' pasta, it's the wagon wheel shape and my kid asked for it. I can mix it with healthier pasta)
  • Giant wheat rotini, 14 ounces, 2 boxes at $1.34 (jury still out on whether wheat is worth the extra money)
  • Giant mac and cheese spirals instant dinner, 2 boxes at 49 cents (as far away from my principles as you can get, but everyone deserves a guilty pleasure)
  • Giant tomato sauce, no salt added, the tiny cans, 5 at 29 cents each
  • Entremont swiss cheese, $4.75 for a chunk
  • A pint of fresh blueberries, $2 (which my daughter is eating as I type)
  • Light and Lively cottage cheese, 2 at 3.49 (the big container). I got two because my daughter eats it all on me...
    (we had cottage cheese and apple butter for breakfast today)
  • half gallon of 2% milk, $1.71
  • Kotex ultra thin maxi pads, $2.99
  • 80 count multi-pack of Tampax, $5.49

No comments:

Post a Comment