Sunday, March 28, 2010

Giant trip


So far this month we've spent $120 on groceries and $120 on dining out. (Plus $40 on a bar tab at the GLVWG conference, but that's another tale and another category.) When I see that I've stayed that close to the budget, I have a tendency to refuse to go to the store no matter what.

But I only have two sticks of butter.

And I think I could make it until April with two sticks of butter but I was thinking about making those sausage-filled French waffles tomorrow for a friend. French requires butter.

My husband volunteered to go to the store. But my list was geared toward Aldi and he was going to Giant. So, I gave him the list and he said he'd do his best.

He spent $26.38 and got:
  • 12 ounces of honey, $2.29
  • 13 ounces of Giant coffee and 13 ounces of Giant decaf coffee, $2 each
  • 2 1 lb boxes of pasta plus 1 lb box of vermicelli, 89 cents each
  • 2 lbs bananas at 59 cents a pound, $1.20
  • 2 quarts of strawberries, buy one get one free, for a total of $4.49
  • 2 packaged Dole salads, $2.50 each
  • Silk soy milk, unsweetened, half gallon, plus one half-gallon silk soy milk, chocolate, $2.99 each plus 55 cents off each because of a coupon
  • 1/2 pound butter, $1.19 (butter prices are cheaper at Aldi, Wegmans used to be cheaper but their butter prices just went up. I believe Aldi's is $1.79 a pound and Wegmans is now $1.99)

1 comment:

  1. I would have been happy sucking on a stick of butter, really, really!! ;-D

    See ya tomorrow budget wonder!

    ReplyDelete