Thursday, April 7, 2011

Almost vegan honeyed corn

Today I went to my state Senator's office re: school and gaining political experience and I noticed a "Taste of pennsylvania" cookbook published for free by the Pennsylvania Dept of Agriculture. I grabbed one.

In it, I discovered a recipe for microwaved honey corn from the Pennsylvania Beekeepers Association. I decided to de-dairy it and try it as a baked item.

The original recipe calls for:
- 20 ounces frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup milk

Mix in covered casserole dish and microwave 8-10 minutes.

My version:
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons organic Earth Balance margarine
- pinch fresh ground salt
- 2 tablespoons honey (and next time I hope to replenish my supply of local honey since spring allergy season is here)
- 3/4 cup soy milk

I'm baking mine in the oven thinking the slow heat will let the corn absorb more flavor)

No comments:

Post a Comment