Monday, April 11, 2011

Compost

I got to dig around in my compost heap today... An activity I find oddly relaxing and rewarding. There's nothing quite like setting in with a shovel and slowly burying that half-rotten food until you have a big pile of black soil, some ticked off worms scurrying for cover and a hole for the next batch of food goodies.

I have a fenced off area under my back deck where I keep the compost. As long as I keep it properly rotated and buried, it does not smell.

Today I found some grapes, oranges, apple cores, watermelon rinds and stems from last year's pumpkins. Tea bags, egg shells, but no big hunks of food. That proves tome that our diet is mostly unprocessed foods, because they all turn into dirt again easily.

I even toss in the tortoise poop when I have to clean it up, which usually includes some tissues and newspaper.

Though every once in a while, I toss in a donut just to watch it's decomposition. We all need a hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment