Monday, April 18, 2011

Venison stew

I made venison stew last night for my family to eat while I was at work. I didn't intend it as stew, but it happened that way.

As usual, I didn't have enough time or ingredients to follow a recipe so I did an internet search for venison loin and experimented from there.

Everyone seems to suggest soaking venison in salt water/vinegar to lessen the game taste. They recommend a few hours and even better overnight. I gave it an hour, so who knows if it even did anything but... My brine solution was salt, pepper, one cup water, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and almost a cup of white vinegar. And my "country herb" blend.

After I got the loin pieces out of the marinade/brine, I dredged them in flour and cooked them on medium high in canola oil in my Le Creuset skillet. Meanwhile, in the crockpot, I poured a can of Progresso French onion soup (which has BUTTER in it, but more MSG than butter... So, is that a little butter or a lot of MSG? Either way, scary. I hope to never come in contact with this soup again.) And a cup of water. Which later we added another 12 ounces of water at least...

I cooked the meat about five minutes on each side and then I poured a cup of water over it and allowed that to boil most of the way off. I poured the meat and all the drippings into the crockpot. My husband added chopped potatoes. We cooked on high about four hours then reduced to low for another three to four. (I'm not sure when they ate dinner.)

About 20 minutes before they ate, they added frozen carrots.

They loved it and devoured it as stew.

1 comment:

  1. I meant to ask the other day when I read this. who gave you venison??

    ReplyDelete