Sunday, August 2, 2009

Gaufres



I needed a waffle recipe, as I wanted to try something different from my normal vegan waffles. So I started looking. All the recipes I found involved separating eggs and I thought to myself, "I'm not doing that." But then I came upon this bit of info that Belgian Waffles are a variant of the French gaufres... and suddenly separating eggs seemed like a good time.

Keep in mind, my whole point of making waffles is to use up the pumpkin leftovers from the other night, and my daughter suggested waffles. So, I selected this recipezaar entry as the winner:

"A recipe so authentic that I had to convert from grams and translate from French! These waffles are rich and delicious (don't bother with syrup!), and the basic recipe is from a Belgian friend of mine.
Ingredients
4 eggs, separated
1 cup granulated sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
4 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons
1 cup butter, melted, plus 2 tablespoons

Directions

Separate the 4 eggs, adding the yolks to the sugar and setting the whites aside for later use.

Add the flour and butter to the yolk and sugar mixture, first by stirring and then by working the mixture into a uniform dough with your hands.

Beat the egg whites until they are fluffy: when you lift the beater from the whites, soft peaks should form and then fall back, not holding much shape.

Crumble the dough and drop the pieces into the egg whites.

Stir by mashing the pieces of dough into the whites with a spoon, then stirring until a uniform consistency is achieved.

Heat up a waffle iron. When it is hot (but not too hot), drop the batter onto the iron in the desired serving size.
I usually get about 12 waffles roughly 4-5 inches in diameter from this recipe."

Of course, I don't follow the recipe.
I used four eggs.
Four cups unbleached white flour.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup pumpkin filling from the crêpes
1/3 cup pumpkin syrup from the crêpes
2/3 cup butter

I think mine needed some more liquid and we didn't stir enough, because they came out extremely dense, yet they also rose.

I served with strawberries and lemon yogurt. As dinner.

1 comment:

  1. you could have called me. My waffle recipie is handed down thru the generations. It's a basic dump and pour. works best with sour milk, but reg and I'm guessing so would work too.

    g

    ReplyDelete