Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cinnamon Raisin Cream of Wheat and Nettle Tea


So, as I hoped, feared and expected, my doctor's appt yesterday revealed an iron deficiency. Luckily, not anemia, but a drop in stored iron from my winter high of 46 to a June 10 low of 13. This means I'm back on OTC iron tablets, vitamin C and a multivitamin.

So, I whipped up this iron-rich breakfast for our summer café: cinnamon raisin cream of wheat, lavender nettle tea and Bolthouse Farms mango-cherry Immunity-C Smoothie.

I had already told myself I would splurge on one of those smoothies when I saw Target had the smoothies on sale for $3.49!!! I dilute mine and use it to take my vitamins.

The nettle tea came loose from the local Nature's Way Market. I didn't know how strong it should be so I just dumped some in the bottom of my French press with some food grade lavender. The child likes it with honey. I prefer it straight.

CINNAMON-RAISIN CREAM OF WHEAT
Heat to almost boiling:
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- some sugar (less than 2 tablespoons)
- about one heaping tablespoon cinnamon
- one large handful raisins
Then when just starting to bubble add:
- 4 tablespoons farina

Stir until thickened

3 comments:

  1. those nettles you're drinking aren't stinging nettles I hope. Those buggers are nasty. I walked thru them once. It took hours before they stopped stinging.

    Back in the day moms would put stinging nettles in their children's beds to punish them. Or they'd put them in their beds to control the evil "urges" during/after puberty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are stinging nettles.

    dan, herbalist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dan. After I posted that, I read that most of the plant you could harvest (very carefully) and eat.

    No offense Dan but I"m staying far, far away from them. I remember stinging nettle day like it was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete