Monday, July 25, 2011

My own canning kit

Although I haven't tasted anything yet, I think today's canning session has removed my fears and got me dreaming of my own pickles, condiments, fruits and salsa. Imagine canning my famous bruschetta! (Tomorrow I must do laundry and bake bread.)

I found this blog's take on condiments and I must say I like it, especially since i've selected catsup on its sodium content and use of high fructose corn syrup. Dreaming of catsup and mustard and my own hot sauce...

http://www.sbcanning.com/2011/07/condiment-canning-ketchup-mustard.html

In a torrential downpour my friend Gayle and I went to the Airport Road Target for canning supplies. In our Target, we have an end cap display of canning items, but this store had only one set of pint jars. I got soaked down to my underpants for nothing!

I really wanted the starter kit. Ball's latest kit is designed for small batches, which excites me because I don't have large scale needs.

So I went to my Target, after witnessing several accidents and sitting in several traffic jams, and the end cap had a box of lids and rings but not just lids like Gayle needed. And no starter kit! Every other accessory but no canning insert for the pot. Gayle mentioned Wegmans.

At this point Gayle was at home, I was the crazy one freezing to death in the air conditioning and wet clothes. I had called her from Target. I couldn't believe they had a decorative 1 gallon Ball jar but not starters kit.

She checked Target.com. No luck.

I went next door to Wegmans. I got a starter kit for $13.99 and Gayle's lids. (I think the Amazon price was $10.50). I whipped out my $2 off manufacturer's coupon and bought it. Wegmans comes through!

I spent some time on the Ball web site:
Www.freshpreserving.com
Looks awesome! A new adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment