Saturday, October 10, 2009

Family grocery outing


I leave for my business trip in several days and there is not much food in the house. I figured I would stock some easy to prepare stuff for while I'm gone. I spent $70, much better than I expected, but I didn't get as many staples as I normally do.

Here goes:

  • In honor of Halloween, an annual indulgence, one box of Booberry and one box of Count Chocula, $1.99 each.
  • Safflower (vegan) mayonnaise, $3.19
  • LaChoy chow mein noodles, $1.49
  • Cherry Coke Zero 2 Liter, $1.34 (total whim. Not something I'd normally buy)
  • Earthgrain 7-grain bread, 24 ounces, $2.49
  • Campbell's Soup, vegetarian vegetable (I think it was the last can in the store) $1.09
  • Campbell's Broccoli cheese soup, $1.33
  • MooMagic Banana, 10 packets, $2.49 (it's supposed to be a mix to add to milk, like Nesquik, but superfortified with vitamins and I have a love of banana milk. I'm disappointed because it has asparatime. In my label reading, I somehow missed this)
  • Giant brand southwest salsa, $1.59 (Daddy doesn't like the mango salsa from wegmans)
  • 14 ounces of Giant brand instant brown rice, $1.69
  • Sliced potatoes in the can, 2 cans at 65 cents each
  • Nature's Promise Wisconsin Cheddar and Shells dinner, 2 boxes at $1.25
  • 8 ounces of water chestnuts, 89 cents
  • 14.4 ounces of honey graham crackers, $1.49
  • 16 ounces of wagon wheel pasta, 2 boxes at 95 cents each
  • 3 tiny cans of no salt added tomato sauce, 35 cents each
  • Organic Mac and cheese dinner in funky bug shapes (again, a whim) $1.69
  • Halloween plastic flute, $1.99 (can I count this as a household expense and not a grocery)
  • Bananas, 55 cents a pound, $1.37
  • Dole baby lettuce, five ounces, $2 (tortoise food)
  • Watermelon slices (five), $1.61
  • Spinach Nuggets, two packages, reduced to $2.99 each
  • sliced apple vegetarian sausages, $3.59
  • Green Giant vegetables with cheese sauce, 24 ounces $2.99
  • Green Giant vegetables, 7 ounces, with cranberries and butter sauce, $1.59
  • Hanover broccoli florets, $1.79* (except trainee cashier charged me TWICE, grrrrr, and I didn't notice until now)
  • Italian blend mixed vegetables, 16 ounces, $1.19
  • steam-in-bag stir fry vegetables, 12 ounces, $1.49
  • Silk soy milk, $2.85
  • 32 ounces of coffeemate, French vanilla, $3.09
  • 18 count of eggs, $1.59
  • Chobani greek style yogurt, vanilla, 16 ounces, $2.79 (I've heard a lot of people rave about this yogurt and though it's twice the cost of the yogurt in the 32 ounce tub-- even compared to Stoneyfield-- it's got half the sugar, not artificial sweeteners and significantly more protein per serving, so I figure we'd try it)
And for dinner tonight, we had MooMagic banana milk, Booberry, Count Chocula and watermelon.

No comments:

Post a Comment