Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Apple Pancake Wraps with sausage


It's a rainy day. I love hot food on a rainy day. I love comfort food on a rainy day.

I love yummy, easy food any day. And I have to keep a small child occupied on a rainy day.

Enter Apple Pancake Wraps with "sausage."

I got this recipe from Parenting, and will attempt to recall the process from memory. Prepare pancakes (or use prepared pancakes from the frozen food aisle). Slice apples, sprinkle with cinnamon if desire, and warm in microwave until apples soften. Put prepared sausage link (I use Morningstar vegetarian sausage) in the middle of a pancake, surround with apples and wrap like a burrito. Top with real maple syrup and serve.

My previous entry on pancakes:
http://angelfoodcooking.blogspot.com/2009/09/banana-pancakes.html

So, this should come as no surprise to my regular readers, but I can't follow a recipe, nor can I make the same meal twice. I made pumpkin oat pancakes, and the yield was only six, but the contents were hearty enough that I was happy serving one with filling to each person for lunch.

Mix:
  • one egg, whisked (preferably by a five-year-old)
  • 1/2 cup wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 6 tablespoons pumpkin
  • 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
For the 'filling' (my pancakes weren't big enough to roll) cook in a skillet until the apples are soft:
  • 2 apples sliced (again, put the child to work)
  • sprinkle liberally with cinnamon
  • 2 Morningstar sausage patties cooked and broken into bits (to make them go farther)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
I was almost out of maple syrup so I added the syrup, butter and the sugar to the apple mix so I could avoid serving with syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment