Sunday, February 22, 2009

My first chicken salad!!!


After surveying my friends and my cookbooks, I have decided to try my hand at chicken salad.

My friends all recommended curry. And various fruits. And since my favorite chicken salad on earth is that of my high school English teacher and involves grapes... and my second favorite is the Apple Walnut Chicken Salad at Java's Brewin at New and Broad Street in Bethlehem...

A random little cookbook from my mother, Salads and Dressings Varied and Delicious by G&R Publishing, 1993, lists the following for chicken salad:

Chicken Salad
from Salads and Dressings Varied and Delicious

2 cups cooked chicken, diced coarse

1 cup celery diced
3/4 cup peeled cucumbers
1 TBS finely cut green onion
Dash salt
1 cup salad dressing

Angel's Chicken Salad with Fruit

1 3/4 cup chicken
1 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped grapes
1/2 cup nut topping
1 tsp. it's a dilly
3/4 cup Nayonnaise/ soy mayonnaise


2 comments:

  1. I've never added fruit to mine. maybe I'll try it.
    g

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer fruit in mine, especially since I hate celery. But I'd love to add cucumber to mine... but I don't have any. It came over very yummy. But the kid claims she doesn't like it. I'm blaming her illness. Because she's saying it's "spicy" and "peppery" and there is only a minute bit of It's a Dilly in it, which is dill, lemon, and some garlic, I believe.

    ReplyDelete