Thursday, February 19, 2009

Blueberry Muffins


I have bread dough rising. My husband packed salads with organic spring mix, apple, blueberries, peeled carrot and cheese for himself and my daughter. I embarked on blueberry muffins...

Let me remind you that most recipes calling for egg in cakes or muffins can be "veganized" using 4 TBS applesauce instead of the egg.

Years ago, I asked my mother-in-law for a generic muffin recipe and today I turned to that instead of my Betty Crocker cookbook. The generic recipe from my mother-in-law was given to me over the phone and apparently I never wrote down the flour. I totally blanked out on what book contained my usual blueberry muffin recipe. And I couldn't believe something that basic wasn't in my binder. But it happens...

So I made it up. And they are currently in the oven... They could be yucky. The dough was slightly thick, but seemed about right.

Angel's Blueberry Muffin Experiment

1 egg  
1 single serving cup natural granny smith applesauce
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
about 3/4 cup oats (plus more for top)
about 1 cup flour
about 1 cup wheat flour
1 1/4 cup milk, maybe slightly less
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt  
1/3 cup plus a little more cooking oil
about two cups blueberries

I had my daughter mix all this stuff up. We got 15 muffins. Then we had some crumbs from a pie in the freezer, so we sprinkled the top with those and oats. We put in the oven for 15 minutes at 350. 

I'll let you know how they turn out.

They have been in the oven 20 minutes and they have failed the spaghetti test. These are dense muffins.

The verdict: 25 minutes and SCRUMPTIOUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment